Visceral fat – this is what accumulates in the abdomen – goes away with great difficulty, so it’s easier and more effective to know how not to accumulate it. Few manage to remove it completely, and it takes months, and sometimes years. About why a “lifeline” is formed and how to get rid of it, says a nutritionist and author
List of suspects
Belly fat is a serious metabolic problem that is traditionally ignored. People do not associate a large belly with diseases of the cardiovascular system, digestive tract organs and glucose levels. However, as soon as an atypical belly begins to appear for you, this is a signal that you need to be examined. At a minimum, find out what is happening inside, whether water or fat accumulates there. Both of these situations are dangerous.
Visceral fat is not subcutaneous, it accumulates in the intra-abdominal cavity. If subcutaneous fat looks soft and flabby, then visceral fat creates a dense, large, rounded belly. This is a gel-like mass that surrounds the organs, which, when in excess, squeezes them, interfering with normal operation. It is interconnected with such system processes as
• age-related disorders of the brain;
• cardiovascular diseases;
• type 2 diabetes;
• sexual dysfunction;
• sleep disorders and apnea;
• autoimmune diseases;
• diseases of the joints, etc.
In addition, visceral fat is toxic, it provokes inflammatory processes, constantly stimulating the immune system, which, in fact, has to fight the body itself, because the fat surrounding the organs transmits powerful inflammatory signals to it every second. We spend all our resources on fighting ourselves, and then complain about “poor” immunity, sin on purines and cholesterol.
What exactly causes chronic inflammation?
1. Elevated cortisol – eternal stress and lack of sleep.
2. Increased insulin – overeating and endless chewing.
3. Excess fat, especially visceral fat, is a powerful inflammatory signal.
4. Consumption of processed, refined foods containing a large amount of sugar, as well as normal foods that are not suitable for a particular organism.
5. Abuse of drugs and other harmful substances.
The list is endless. In addition, visceral fat affects endocrine function: hormone balance, mood, weight, brain function, and not in the best way.
How is visceral fat accumulated?
A normal, non-protruding belly is an important indicator of health for both men and women. The body usually controls energy intake and expenditure in order to maintain this parameter, for which there are hormonal signals that encourage eating or signal satiety. This complex biochemical feedback mechanism of the brain and key organs works great in children, as well as in naturally slender people. They can not cram a single gram of excess into themselves. But someone (or at some point) becomes more vulnerable, and the reasons for this must be sought in the five situations listed above.
In addition, not very successful genetics, environmental toxicity, and age play an important role. Together with these factors, improper eating behavior leads to the fact that the relationship between the body and the brain is disrupted, and the body begins to store visceral fat.
First of all, you need to pay attention to insulin – it can control weight, appetite and mood, because a lot depends on the stability of blood glucose. Constantly elevated insulin levels affect the accumulation of visceral fat. As long as the body remains in balance, it does not fail and does not require food orgy from you.
It is necessary to minimize simple carbohydrates and strictly control complex ones – so you can reduce the risks. This also applies to alcohol.
Excess visceral fat can provoke risky situations.
- A high level of inflammation in the body, against which systemic diseases can develop. As already mentioned, the work on eliminating the problem takes years, and you just need to put up with it and keep the right rhythm, freeing the organs from this captivity.
- Increased risk of blood sugar dysregulation. It is visceral fat that often leads to insulin resistance.
- Difficulties with losing weight. With a large amount of fat on the abdomen, you should first contact an endocrinologist, since visceral fat interferes with the regulation of appetite, and it will be very difficult to cope on your own – there is a high probability of wild hunger. And elevated insulin levels help to easily and quickly convert incoming calories into fat. It turns out a vicious circle. In such a situation, any refined products should be excluded.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system are directly related to visceral fat. The point is inflammatory cytokines, which are actively produced by these fat cells. Since the liver suffers from congestion, cholesterol metabolism is disturbed, blood sugar levels rise, and this negatively affects blood vessels, and the risk of plaque formation increases. It is worth paying special attention to the level of triglycerides, glycated hemoglobin, blood pressure, since visceral fat is a cardiometabolic risk factor.
- A prerequisite for the development of dementia. Cognitive decline is also strongly associated with visceral obesity and the chronic inflammation it causes. Even at normal weight, with a large belly, the risk of developing dementia will be higher. The reason is the negative impact of inflammation on the hippocampus – our navigator and memory center.
- Serious mood problems, up to depression. The reason is an imbalance of neurotransmitters on which our mood depends. Excess fat in the thighs or subcutaneous fat in the abdomen usually does not work that way, but visceral fat is another matter.
How to solve the problem
1. Eliminate sugar, refined foods, constant snacking. If you take insulin under control, the body will stop storing fat and will gradually use it. According to studies, a person with a large waist circumference secretes 2-5 times more insulin than those whose volumes are within the normal range. Most carbohydrates should be replaced with healthy alternatives – natural sweeteners (in moderation), healthy fats.
2. Focus on non-starchy vegetables, fats and protein. You can eat root crops and cereals, but be guided by the effectiveness of your work against fat. Choose foods high in nutrients. All types of non-starchy vegetables, greens, eggs, meat, fish, nuts, healthy oils and seeds in various combinations do not cause sharp jumps in sugar and insulin. Don’t forget fermented foods. And remember that without a calorie deficit and a regimen, there is no…