Few products are surrounded by so many horror stories about their harm and danger as mayonnaise. Loved and hated, they argue about the application and, of course, about the preparation. In fact, most problems, such as dubious composition and prohibitive calorie content, are solved if you do everything yourself. So we have selected 6 of the most delicious homemade mayonnaise recipes for you!
1. Homemade mayonnaise with mustard
The taste is richer and more spicy – an eternal classic!
You will need: 4 eggs, 500 ml oil, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 4 tsp mustard, 1 tsp. sugar and salt.
Cooking: Whisk the eggs with the rest of the ingredients, except for the oil and lemon, in a high bowl with a blender. Continuing to beat, add oil along the wall until the sauce thickens. At the end, add lemon juice and finally beat the mayonnaise again.
2. Homemade mayonnaise with milk
If you think that it is impossible to make homemade mayonnaise without eggs, you are wrong!
You will need: 300 ml milk, 600 ml butter, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 3 tbsp. mustard, 1 tsp. salt and sugar.
Cooking: Warm the milk to room temperature, pour in the butter and beat with a blender to thicken well. Add the rest of the ingredients from the recipe and beat for another half a minute on the highest power.
3. Homemade mayonnaise with vinegar
The expressive and spicy taste of mayonnaise can be obtained even without mustard, when it is not at hand.
You will need: 4 eggs, 300 ml oil, 1 tsp each 9% vinegar, salt and sugar.
Cooking: Separate the yolks from the eggs, because you won’t need the whites. Add salt, sugar and vinegar, beat, add oil and beat for another 5 minutes. If you prefer light and tender mayonnaise, then use apple cider vinegar.
4. Homemade mayonnaise with quail eggs
The recipe for this homemade mayonnaise will suit real gourmets and fans of proper nutrition!
You will need: 10 quail eggs, 250 ml oil, 1.5 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. mustard, salt and sugar.
Cooking: Beat eggs with mustard, sugar, salt and spices to taste with a blender until smooth. Gradually add the oil and immediately continue beating until the mixture thickens. Lastly, add the lemon juice and beat again.
5. Homemade mayonnaise on the water
An unusual recipe worth a try for those who prefer the neutral taste of the sauce!
You will need: 1.5 cups of water, 0.5 cups of flour, 4 tbsp. oils, 2 tbsp. mustard, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1.5 tsp each sugar and salt.
Cooking: Grind the flour with water so that there is a homogeneous mass without lumps. Put the mixture on the stove, boil and cook until thickened, and then leave to cool. Separately, beat the butter with the rest of the ingredients and slowly pour the flour into it until you get the desired consistency.
6. Vegan mayonnaise
This homemade mayonnaise recipe is completely free of eggs, milk and other animal products!
You will need: 80 ml soy milk, 160 ml oil, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 0.5 tsp each mustard, salt and sugar.
Cooking: Warm soy milk to room temperature, add butter and beat with a blender for a minute at maximum speed. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a couple more minutes, without moving the blender if possible.
Although all the recipes are very similar to each other, there are a few tricks and secrets that will help you get the most out of homemade mayonnaise. We share tips!
1. In order not to be bitter, mix olive oil with vegetable oil 1:1 – 1:3. Add some sesame, corn, grape, rapeseed, linseed and other oils;
2. If the mayonnaise does not thicken in any way, then add a little more oil. And if you need to make it more liquid – a drop of water;
3. Store homemade mayonnaise in an opaque and airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. On average, it is recommended to store it for 3 days;
4. Soft but rich Dijon mustard is best suited for mayonnaise;
5. Vegans can experiment with nut milk and chickpea water. They always need to be heated a little, otherwise the mixture simply will not whip;
6. Mayonnaise with tomato paste goes well with fish, and with meat – with gherkins or horseradish. For salads, add greens, and for savory snacks, add applesauce or orange juice;
7. Prepare homemade mayonnaise half an hour before use so that it has time to brew a little. Medium sauce preparationit takes no more than 10 minutes;
8. It is better to use a glass container for storage, rather than metal or plastic;
9. Do not use unrefined oil, because mayonnaise will delaminate;
10. To reduce calories, mix mayonnaise with natural yogurt before use.